Later in this article you can read about why spending some money on an organic, eco-friendly mattress topper is an excellent choice. But first I would like to help out the people who are here for the reviews. This is an article I wrote because I was in your position: I needed a new mattress topper and was really wondering which one to buy. After doing a lot of research, I found out that the environmentally friendly options were slightly more expensive. This is quite normal for eco-friendly home products and other furniture.
I simply wanted to be aware of the chemicals that would be brought into my home if I bought something non-organic to sleep on. And I know that this is quite common to worry about.
This article got three parts:
1) Me writing about the four eco-friendly mattress toppers that I considered buying. Giving you a full summary of why I did choose the one I did.
2) Pictures and review of the one I ended up buying.
3) Some general tips when you are buying a mattress topper online. It can be a struggle.
Table of Contents
- In a hurry? Here are my top 3 picks
- Reviews: 3 recommended eco-friendly mattress toppers
- Runner’s up: Organic mattress toppers that almost made the list
- What are the most important things to consider when buying a mattress topper?
- Why did I buy a mattress topper online?
- FAQ – Frequently asked questions
- Final words
In a hurry? Here are my top 3 picks
You might notice that all of these recommended products come in different material:
To me, there wasn’t really a big difference on how they felt when I tried them*. I don’t think you should be too concerned about the different materials, but rather pay more attention to the fact that the manufacturing process needs to be as clean as possible.
*= I didn’t try all these specific products. However, I went to a “bedroom shop” to try different materials in order to make up my mind of what I was going to buy – and what to recommend.
Reviews: 3 recommended eco-friendly mattress toppers
So this is it. After probably spending twenty hours of my life browsing different websites and talking to colleagues & friends, I found four products that were all very interesting. And before you start reading: I actually chose to buy #1 (the one from Best Price Mattress – which is also labelled the “Winner” in the table above).
Overall best product: Green Tea Infusion Mattress Topper from Best Price Mattresses
Best mattress topper I’ve ever had.
That’s not something I’m just saying. This is pure quality.
On the flip side, I’ve always bought mattress toppers from IKEA. Not only are they non-eco-friendly. They’re also either too soft or too hard.
I am actually so much in love with this mattress topper that I shipped it home on a boat when I moved from Shanghai to Oslo (no, I’m not joking!!).
- Three soft layers
- Made out of soft polyester
- Gives amazing comfort (I finally sleep all night)
- 100 nights free trial
- 3 years warranty
- Slightly heavy to ship from Shanghai to Oslo 😉
- It costs more than 100 USD…
Main arguments to buy this mattress topper
- It comes in all sizes and will guaranteed fit your bed. You can buy everything from Twin to California King.
- The comfort is amazing. This might sound like a sales pitch from the manufacturer. But it’s not – I am 100% independent. 🙂 However, I’ve slept on this mattress topper for more than two years and I couldn’t be more happy.
- Gives a very deep sleep. I struggled previously during the night as I woke up quite frequently around 5:00 or 6:00 (when the alarm was at 7:30). After buying this mattress topper, I don’t have that problem anymore. I am uncertain if it is a direct correlation, but I honestly feel that it helps me to get a real deep, healthy sleep.
- The mattress topper has a weak smell of green tea. I was addicted to green tea when I worked in China – and I guess that’s why I just love the smell of my bed. According to the Amazon listing, this particular smell will, quote: “help reduce stress and promote a restful sleep”. I am not sure if that’s true. But I’m happy at least.
Second best option: Mattress Topper with Fitted Skirt from ExceptionSheets
A simple, but good Bamboo mattress topper that is perfect to “revitalize your sleep”. The unique thing about this one is a technology that is called Revoloft. According to the Amazon ad, it will make the mattress smooth, cozy and make sure that you will get “relief after tired days”.
In addition to that, it is hypoallergenic.
This is also put as product #1 in this article simply because they have a proof of concept. Not only has this manufacturer alone sold more than 1 million mattress toppers in USA, but they also guarantee you the money back if you are not 100 % satisfied. That is why I consider this as the second best choice right now.
- Made in the USA
- Made out of bamboo-derived Rayon
- Comes in seven different sizes
- 100 % hyperallergenic fiber
- “Be happy or get your money back” guarantee
- Despite the fact that the manufacturer claims to have a cooling effect, many people on Amazon say it don’t…
Main arguments to buy this mattress topper
- My second choice. If I was to buy a mattress topper today, I would potentially buy this one. It’s cheaper than the one I bought – and with more than 1 million sales in the US alone, I’m like…99,99999 % sure it’s a great choice.
- Completely animal free and hypoallergenic. If you’re someone who gets allergic quite often, you know the struggle. Sleeping at hotels can be a nightmare. However, this mattress topper is 100 % free for any animal products, which reduces the risk dramatically for any allergic reaction on humans.
- Proven concept. Again: I have to mention their popularity. ExceptionalSheets have sold more than 1 million bed products in the US – and is one of the top brands for mattress toppers. You can’t go wrong buying if you stick to the most popular brands – can you? 🙂
Great budget alternative: Bamboo Organic Mattress topper from Cheer Collection
This mattress topper is made in a breathable bamboo material. According to the person who uploaded this product to Amazon (I don`t know if it is the manufacturer or Amazon themselves), this mattress is equal to “sleeping on a cloud“. Wow!
That is a pretty bold statement.
Anyway. From what I can see, this is a pretty good choice. It is affordable and available in all different sizes, which is important.
If I was struggling with money at the time of my purchase, I Would have gone for this mattress topper from Cheer Collection. No doubt about that.
- Cheap and great alternative
- Comes in six different sizes
- Great reviews online
- 40 % polyester, 60 % bamboo
Main arguments to buy this mattress topper
- Bamboo is an excellent choice for most clothes and furniture. Eco-friendly and solid material.
- Excellent for people that are allergic. This mattress topper got something called “anti allergy coating”, which should protect you from mites and dust being gathered inside.
- Comfortable. I mean; I just have to trust the many reviews that can be found online. Some people say it’s the best mattress topper they have ever tried. That’s quite a bold statement for a mattress topper that’s this cheap.
Runner’s up: Organic mattress toppers that almost made the list
The products listed below are all great options, but I didn’t do enough research to be fully 100 % comfortable in recommending them. If you want to buy one of these mattress toppers, I would recommend you to look through Amazon and other websites to make sure they got good reviews:
What are the most important things to consider when buying a mattress topper?
I’ve only bought an eco-friendly mattress topper online once in my life. However, I love to do an awful lot of research before I buy anything (especially something that costs more than 100 $).
In this section, I’m going to share with you some useful information that you might want to know before buying an eco-friendly mattress topper:
The price range of these eco-friendly mattress toppers is quite astonishing. You can get them down to 25 dollars and up to many thousands. Regardless of your budget, it is most important that you will get value for money. Spending a couple of hundred dollars on a good product can really be worth the investment. It all comes down to your needs. Some people, like myself, really need to have good bed conditions in order to not struggle to sleep.
Other people can literally sleep on the floor for 8 hours straight without taking any notice from that. By the way, I envy these people a bit.
Different size = different price
This is a table showing the difference in price depending on how big of a bed you have:
|Twin XL||~55 USD|
If you’re not sure what size of bed you have, mattressfirm.com have published a great article that gives you the mattress dimensions. Find the ruler and start to measure! 🙂
How comfortable it is
Toppers are made in many different materials. Some of them are made in order to adjust or mold to your body shape. In other words, you will sort of “sink” into the mattress topper, which goes for being a very comfortable way to sleep. If you like that type of feature, you would probably have to go with a latex or memory topper.
Please notice that when it comes to sleep, what is comfortable for you is probably not comfortable for other people. Reading reviews online might therefore not be very helpful unless they are able to understand what type of persons they are. I am maybe shooting myself in the foot a bit by actually writing and publishing this article, but whatever. Hopefully I am able to express what type of “sleeping pattern” I got and therefore what I based my choice on.
The environmental aspect
Of course. This is close to being the most important one.
One thing is sleeping well. Another thing is sleeping well knowing that your mattress topper isn’t made out of harmful chemicals.
You should support businesses that make products out of natural and organic materials. As mentioned previously, you don’t have to compromise on quality just because you choose something environmentally friendly.
How thick and dense is it?
The more you weigh, the thicker the topper you would need. My roommate, which is taller and heavier than me, would not be able to sleep on the same one as I bought. Just to give you some personal background of myself: I am about 75 kilo and 188 centimeters. However, I assume the mattress topper that I just bought can handle people up to 90 kilo without any problems.
Density is not the same as thickness. When we talk about “density” when describing a mattress topper, we talk about what most people would call “hard” or “soft”. If you like to sleep on a hard bed, which by the way can be good for your back, you should by a mattress that is quite dense.
Why did I buy a mattress topper online?
Choosing a mattress topper online can be challenging, but you will save quite some money. Before finally purchasing, I was driving around to different “Bed, Bath and Beyond” types of shops to find the perfect one. And frankly, trying them out was not very successful for me.
I mean, in order to know whether or not you actually feel comfortable with a mattress topper, you will probably have to spend at least 1 week sleeping in one.
Yes, you can definitely feel that some of them are slightly thicker or softer than others. But this is also something that you can read from all the reviews on Amazon.
FAQ – Frequently asked questions
Absolutely. I have done that several times.
I have to be honest though: the IKEA mattresses are not as good as the ones you can get on Amazon. That’s just a fact.
I would personally go for Amazon any day.
Buying stuff online is much cheaper than going to your closest “bed and mattress store”. What’s great about selling stuff online is that businesses don’t have much cost affiliated with that type of operation, which makes it cheaper for them – and cheaper for you as a consumer.
If you never had one; you probably don’t know how good it feels to have one.
And it’s just one of these items that you one time discover and go “oooh, darn. Why didn’t I buy this thing ages ago?”
A mattress topper will not only be good for your health and back. It will also help you to sleep much better – and longer.
Finding an eco-friendly mattress topper is not very easy. There are loads of websites out there that constantly try to push products that they have never tried or made proper research on. And they do so because some random mattress company has sponsored them. Anyway, I can at least guarantee you that my recommendations are real.
Spending a little bit more money on an environmentally friendly product is worth it. Remember that this is an investment for your sleep. And please do not forget the health aspect of buying natural products.
7 thoughts on “Eco-friendly mattress topper: Why You Need One”
I really enjoyed your detailed article on mattress. I think this article will help people to choose their perfect mattress and know very important basic things about mattress that your body needs to be adjusted with the new mattress. Changing mattress can solve your back pain or spinal problems.
Go for it – buy something that can LAST FOREVER and that is ORGANIC.
Mattresses and other bed equipment makes up a high pile of garbage in the US every year, which makes it good to go for something that isn’t mass produced by evil companies like IKEA.
Thanks for the article.
I bought a bamboo mattress topper, but I don’t feel it’s as soft as I hoped. Not sure if it’s something wrong with the product I received or should bamboo be like that?
Hi! If you believe it’s something wrong with your product, I believe a good thing would be to return it.
Bamboo mattress toppers should be very soft. 😛
Thank you for this long and interesting article. First of all: great to see that some people actually take pictures of whatever they are reviewing. Like you also mention in the article, there are a lot of fake reviews out there. What I found is that Amazon reviews are probably the best ones. After all, they are unable to fake that they ever bought anything.
The reason I found this article is because I am right now trying to convince my wife that we should get a new mattress topper. Problem is that she is not an environmentalist like me. That is a problem. She believes that price and comfort is more important than saving the world….needless to say; I disagree 😉
Hi Andrew, thanks for your comment. And great that you seem interested in getting a new eco-friendly mattress topper. Making your home more environmentally friendly: one step at a time! 🙂
You are right about the Amazon reviews. They can really be trusted. The good thing about them is that no one are ever paid (as far as I know…) for writing them, and they are simply published on the basis of helping other people out. Now, that cannot be said about a lot of these external “review sites” online.
On the other hand, really hope you can convince your wife that buying a new mattress topper will be the best for the environment & your bed condition. Good luck!