These days every household should be equipped with a shower filter. This is especially true if you live in a home that has hard water running through the pipes.
Hard water can be extremely dangerous to your overall health and well being. It contains chemicals and bacteria that can literally destroy your skin and cause all sorts of infections to break out.
A shower filter can help keep you safe by trapping the chemicals found in the water and ensuring they don’t make contact with your skin.
Table of Contents
- Table of Best Shower Filter for Homeowners
- 3 Reasons You Should Consider Purchasing a Shower Filter
- 5 Things To Consider When Purchasing a Shower Filter (a Quick Buyers Guide)
- Best Shower Filter For Homeowners
Table of Best Shower Filter for Homeowners
3 Reasons You Should Consider Purchasing a Shower Filter
While there are dozens of reasons you should consider investing in a shower filter, what it all boils down to is taking care of your health.
Just like you would make sure the water you drink is safe, you should do the same with the water that touches your body everyday.
Here are the 3 reasons you should consider purchasing a shower filter:
To Prevent Skin Irritation
Did you know that 65% of skin irritation is a result of the chlorine found in your bath water? And being that most shower heads do not contain a filter, every time you take a shower or wash your face you are exposing yourself to chlorine.
With a shower filter the chlorine will be filtered out of the water before making its way to you.
To Prevent Dry Skin
When chlorine and other bacteria comes in contact with your skin it can cause an infection that takes a long time to heal.
The number one symptom of this type of infection is dry skin. In some cases dry skin may be accompanied by an itchy rash.
Dry skin is annoying and it doesn’t look good to the naked eye. Having a good shower filter will help you avoid excessive dry skin.
To Avoid Respiratory Problems
Yes, the water you bathe in can lead to respiratory problems. Issues such as asthma are often a result of inhaling toxic substances that researchers believe can be found in both drinking and shower water.
When you take a shower the steam from that shower will spread toxins around the bathroom. Once you breathe those toxins in they will go straight to your lungs and slowly start to deteriorate any healthy tissue.
Over time this can lead to breathing problems that in some cases can prove to be very painful.
The right shower filter will prevent toxins from coming in contact with your skin by trapping them inside the inbuilt container.
5 Things To Consider When Purchasing a Shower Filter (a Quick Buyers Guide)
Once you start shopping for shower filters you will quickly realize there are more options than you could?ve ever imagined.
To help you find the best shower filter we have put together this quick buyers guide that outlines the 5 things you should look for when purchasing a shower filter.
What Type of Filter Is It?
For best results you want a KDF filter or Vitamin C filter. If a filter uses any other method to remove toxins you should avoid purchasing it.
Vitamin C and KDF filters have both been tested and proven to be accurate when it comes to removing toxins from water. Other methods have not been tested and proven.
What Is The Filter Made of?
The materials used to create the shower filter will ultimately determine how durable it is. Stay away from thin metals and cheap plastics. Both have been known to crack, bend or break.
How Long Will It Last?
The longevity of a shower filter is extremely important. The last thing you want to do is have to constantly purchase new filters.
You want a filter not damaged by hot water that comes from either your electric or gas water heater.
You want a filter that lasts a minimum of 3 months. If possible get one that lasts 6 months or longer.
How Much Are Replacement Parts?
At some point you may need to do minor repairs on the shower filter. In order to do those repairs you must have easy access to affordable replacement parts.
If a shower filter has no replacement parts it is best to look for a different brand. Not being able to repair or replace certain parts would mean you would have to invest in a new filter if something should go wrong.
How Does It Look?
While functionality is the most important aspect of a shower filter, aesthetics aren?t too far behind. You want a filter that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
Best Shower Filter For Homeowners
Here’s our review of the 5 best shower filters.
AquaBliss High Output 12-Stage Shower Filter
The AquaBliss High Output 12-Stage Shower Filter is the very definition of beauty, brawn and balance.
Unlike most shower filters on the market, this AquaBliss does not use cheap activated carbon. It instead uses a proprietary system that has completely revolutionized the shower filter industry.
The system balances the four key elements that are needed to get rid of bacteria, pesticides, chlorine and heavy metals such as nickel, lead and mercury.
It also prevents mold, fungi, algae and scale from growing while also protecting your skin, hair and nails. Something that few other shower filters are able to do.
And thanks to the proprietary systems 12 stages of clean your pH levels will be balanced and your skin, hair and nails will be infused with beneficial minerals.
- Neutralizes odors
- Advanced 12 stage filters
- Costs just $0.10 per day
- Comes with 2 ?easy swap? showerhead filter replacements that are guaranteed to protect you for up to 12 months.
- Requires no tools to install
May cause water pressure issues
- DAY 1 - IMMEDIATELY BEGINS REJUVENATING SKIN, HAIR & NAILS: HARD, chlorinated, chemical ridden water causing itchy skin, flaky dandruff, eczema, bone-dry hair and brittle nails? Let our UNIQUE, PROPRIETARY SYSTEMS MULTI-STAGE sediment filters, redox media, calcium sulfite, activated carbon and ceramic beads deliver MAXIMUM WATER FILTRATION to NEUTRALIZE ODORS, balance out your PH levels and INFUSE BENEFICIAL MINERALS into your skin, nails and hair from the first time you turn it on!
- ACTUALLY WORKS - EXPERIENCE THE CLEANEST CLEAN: MOST filters for showers eliminate some chemicals for a short time, but do nothing to restore the damage done to your hair, nails and skin. Our ADVANCED MULTI-STAGE HEALTH FILTER reduces Chlorine, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, dirt, odors, helps control scale buildup plus restores what your hard, chemical filled water did to your hair, skin and nails!
- JUST .09 CENTS/DAY: WHAT is your HEALTH worth? What about LOOKING YOUR BEST? If you’re a savvy shopper, you’ve done your research so you know that most shower filter cartridge options for well or city water only last a few months, then cost a pretty penny to replace. AquaBliss “EASY SWAP” showerhead FILTER replacements last longer cost less - for CLEANER, CLEARER, BEAUTIFYING SHOWER TIME for LESS than .09 cents per day.
- “IT FITS!” - EASIEST NO-TOOL INSTALL: IF YOU can snap together Legos, you can easily remove your old shower filter or chlorine filter and replace it with this in minutes! Because we believe life should be EASY, we ENGINEERED the FITTING so IT WORKS with ALL SHOWER TYPES – including fixed, rain and handheld. No tools required.
- ADVANCED REVITALIZING SF100 VS HEAVY DUTY SF220: CUSTOMERS LOVE both of our AQUABLISS shower head filters. Here’s how to know WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE. If you’re simply looking for a HEAVY DUTY shower filter to target and reduce chemicals, sediment and chlorine – buy our SF220. If you’d love the BONUS BENEFIT of our ceramic beads, to RESTORE HEALTHY, itch free skin, shiny hair and strong nails then you’ll want to add this Advanced revitalizing filter to your cart now.
Culligan HSH-C135 Hand-Held Filtered Shower Head with Massage
With the Culligan HSH-C135 Hand-Held Filtered Shower Head with Massage, you never have to worry about harsh chlorine levels or damaging scale buildup.
The filtration system reduces the amount of scale by removing impurities within the water. As a result every shower you take will hydrate and nourish your hair, skin and scalp.
The main feature on this showerhead is the filter itself. Not only is it capable of filtering scale, odor and chlorine, but it can do so for up to 6 months or 10,000 gallons of water.
This means you will have softer water and an overall better showering experience from the moment you install this showerhead.
And thanks to its strong chrome finish it will fit in perfectly with just about any other bathroom fixtures.
The Culligan HSH-C135 is a very versatile shower head that can be used in multiple ways. You can either use it as a handheld or via the standard option.
It also features a massage setting that gives you the flexibility to target specific muscle groups while you shower.
- It’s affordable. The average cost is less than $50.
- It’s customizable – With 5 spray settings, you have the freedom to adjust the comfort level of the shower to meet your personal preferences.
- 5 year limited warranty that protects you should something go wrong within that time frame.
- The odor of sulfur is greatly reduced through the filtration system.
- 5 foot long shower head hose that gives you flexibility and the ability to reach those hard to reach areas.
- Works immediately. As soon as you install the shower head, the filter will start filtering your water.
- It works great with various plumbing situations, including upflow design.
The shower head may droop due to the weight of the filter. The easiest way to deal with this issue is to mount the shower head directly to the wall.
- Provide your shower with clean, great-feeling filtered water for softer and cleaner skin and hair
- Includes: Showerhead; Filter cartridge; Teflon tape; Metal hose; Bracket; Filter change reminder sticker
- Certification: Tested according to NSF/ANSI 177 for reduction of free available chlorine
- Filter Life: Up to 10,000 gallons or 6 months, depending on usage and water conditions
Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System with Adjustable Showerhead
The Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System with Adjustable Showerhead is a simple plug and play solution that makes it easy for homeowners to get access to filtered shower water.
The system is highly portable and very compact. Just attach it to your shower line and your showers will instantly become more satisfying.
With the Aquasana AQ-4100 you will have more flexibility than you will know what to do with. You can use a fixed showerhead, a handheld showerhead or no showerhead at all.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 provides a continuous water flow of 2.5 GPM. Simply adjust the pressure and you can have high flow or low flow whenever you want.
Even if you have extremely low water pressure, the superior design of this system will still provide you with excellent water flow.
Because of the unique upflow design this system will never clog or have any media channeling.
Installing this shower water filter system is quick and easy. Just attach the unit to the shower pipe and it will be ready to be used. For your convenience the system comes with an installation manual that is fully illustrated.
- Gets rid of up to 90% of chlorine.
- Uses a patented dual stage water filtration system.
- Improves pH balance.
- Reduces volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as copper and lead.
- Filters only need to be replaced twice a year.
- Naturally enhances bath products.
- Easy to install.
- Easy to use.
- Can be used without the shower head.
- 90-day guarantee.
- One-year warranty.
- NSF certified.
- Durability – Some users have complained about the filter breaking within a few months.
- The system may leak from time to time.
- Healthier Skin, Hair & Air - Reduced harmful chemicals means more moisturized skin, healthy shiny hair, and less chlorine in your shower steam
- Premium NSF Certified Filtration Media - Natural coconut shell carbon reduces chlorine, lead, iron and other harsh chemicals, while copper & zinc media enhances your water's PH balance
- Maximum Filtration & Water Pressure - Constructed with a unique up flow design which prevents clogging, increases contact time with media, and maintains water pressure
- Long Lasting & Cost Efficient Filtration - Our filters are some of the longest lasting on the market. Keep your water fresh for 6 months or 10, 000 Gallons and for as little as 25 cents a day
- Simple DIY Installation & Filter Replacement - Easily install showerhead in 4 simple steps. After installation run water for several minutes to flush carbon fines until water is clear. For optimal filtration, replace filters every 6 months
12-Stage Shower Water Filter – 2 Cartridge Included
This 12 stage shower water filter was designed to focus on one thing?.your health! This particular model was improved upon from previous models and is now even better at removing unpleasant odors, bacteria, heavy metals, irritants and various contaminants.
The 12 stage filtration process helps promote stronger and healthier skin, hair and nails. This is due to the fact that it filters using granulated activated coconut carbon.
When it comes to removing things such as chemicals, chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), radioactive iodine-131, trihalomethanes and other impurities from the water, granulated activated coconut carbon is without a doubt the best solution.
To remove sediments, rust and bacteria the system uses Polypropylene Cotton. This unique structure within the filter has a surface area that is up to 8 times bigger than ordinary filters. This is what makes it so effective.
To remove heavy metals such as iron, aluminum and lead the system uses calcium sulfite which is 100 times more efficient than activated carbon.
Thanks to a universal connection installing the filter is quick and easy. It requires no extra tools and is suitable for just about any type of shower system.
The system comes with 2 cartridges to ensure you always have access to safe, clean water. Each cartridge can last for up to 6 months depending on how dirty your water is. You will also get 5 shower caps and teflon tape.
If you have children or pets you will absolutely love this shower filter system. The water it produces is cleaner, and more pure than most other filters which makes it perfect for bathing your children and pets in.
If you are a homeowner that doesn’t want to invest in a whole house water filtration system but you still want to have filtered shower water, the 12 stage shower water filter is exactly what you need.
- Consistent water pressure. You never have to worry about your existing water pressure being reduced.
- Easy installation.
- Includes 2 cartridges that can last up to 6 months each.
- Decreases your chances of developing eczema asthma bronchitis.
- Versatile. Can be used with handheld showers, combo showers, overhead showers and rainfall showers.
- Softens both well water and hard alkaline water.
- Reduces itchy skin
Some users have stated the filters don’t last as long as the manufacturer claims. Keep in mind, the amount of time the filters last will depend on how dirty your water is.
Before using this system, you must allow the water to flow through the system for at least 5 minutes. This will ensure any carbon dust build up is removed before you start using the water on your body.