Reverse Osmosis water tends to be slightly acidic with a pH of 5-6. This is because the semi-permeable membrane successfully filters out contaminants, but is not able to filter carbon dioxide – which can also dissolve in the water after it passes through the filter.
The presence of dissolved carbon dioxide makes the water slightly acidic.
Mineral water is not quite as acidic because there are other compounds in it that balance the pH out.
Because RO water is so close to distilled water, carbon dioxide can dissolve in it very easily.
Table of Contents
- A quick primer on pH
- Is acidic water bad for you?
- How to increase the pH of RO water
- What’s the deal with alkaline water
A quick primer on pH
pH stands for?potenz hydrogen, or the amount of free H+ ions present in the solution. Water has a dissociative property. While we’re familiar with the chemical formula of water being H2O, water is actually an equal combination of H+ and OH– ions.
If the number of H+ and OH– ions remains equal, the pH of the solution will be 7, or neutral. The moment H+, the pH starts ticking down, indicating that the solution is getting acidic.
If the concentration of OH– increases, the pH starts ticking up, indicating that the solution is getting more alkaline.
A common acid is hydrochloric acid, or HCl.
HCl is actually H+ and CL–, so the increased H+ ions in the solution(in addition to the ones already in the water) will push the pH down.
When carbon dioxide dissolves in water, an interesting process takes place.
Instead of adding extra H+ ions, it actually removes OH– ions by combining with the OH– ions to form HCO3–.
This is why the pH slightly drops.
You can measure pH of a solution using a pH meter. These are simple devices that have a small electrode you dip in the solution and the screen will show you a reading. These devices are the most accurate way to measure pH – don’t waste your time with pH strips as you’ll only get an approximation with those.
- Wide Use: Ideal for household or laboratory use; Suitable for testing pH balance of drinking water, pool, aquarium, RO system, Spa, or hydroponics; Appropriate for wide range of applications
- Fast And Accurate: Ensure your pool, general hydroponics ph or even drinking water has a perfect pH balance and safe for use with ISAIBEL Tester precision pH accuracy. ISAIBELL Tester has a sensitive electrode sensor to read accurate pH levels.
- Auto Calibration: The PH meter has an auto temperature compensation feature that adjusts to water temperatures and water quality to give pH readings almost instantly.
- Lightweight And Easy To Use: Just remove the protective cap and immerse the PH meter electrode in the solution and press the button to be measured. Beats the heck out of trying to see the colors of a litmus strip.
- Make You Satisfied With The Products: Come with 1x ISAIBELL PH meter, 1x user manual, 3x 1. 5V LR44 button cells(build-in), 3x PH Buffer Powders; 1-Year
Still, the pH drops only a minute amount and you won’t even notice the taste.
Is acidic water bad for you?
Highly acidic water can be corrosive over a long period of time and can slowly eat away at the pipes and plumbing in your house.
However, the key word here is “highly.”
Most natural waters in the USA have a pH between 6.5 to 8.5.
This much fluctuation is completely normal.
The acid raid that you hear about on the news as corroding buildings and statues is actually much more acidic, with a pH closer to 4.
You may think that you need to avoid acidic water like the plague, but that’s just not the case – we regularly consume acidic foods and beverages.
Are you a fan of sour foods? I’ve got news for you:?all sour foods are acidic!
Here’s a table of common beverages and their pH levels:
|Water pH Levels
|Beverage pH Levels
|Sea Water = 8.6
|Soda = 2.5
|Mineral Water = 7.4
|Sports Drink = 2.9
|Tap Water = 6 -8
|Coffee = 4
|RO Water = 5-7
|Beer = 4.5
As you can see, we are accustomed to drinking a wide range of pH beverages and our bodies do a fantastic job of balancing out the acids and bases to maintain our blood pH where it should be as long as you have a balanced diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, and natural foods.
On a side note, even though it’s technically safe from an acid point of view to drink soda, sugary drinks like soda should generally be avoided to stay healthy.
How to increase the pH of RO water
If you measure your RO water to find that it’s a bit more acidic than you are comfortable with, you can just add a few specks of baking soda and mix it in to increase the pH.
Don’t add too much, or else you’ll tip the scales too far to alkaline!
There are also a couple of other options:
Use a remineralization/alkaline stage in your RO system. This is another tank that attaches to the last stage of your RO system and it will add some minerals back into the water, raising the pH closer to neutral.
- Reverse Osmosis Water Filter: Experience what water should taste like with the Express Water reverse osmosis water filtration system filtering up to 99. 99% of Lead, Chlorine, Fluoride, Nitrates, Calcium, Arsenic, and more
- Alkaline Water Filter: Express Water’s Alkaline Water Filter with Active Mineral Technology adds Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, and other minerals to your water
- Under Sink Water Filter: Don’t waste money on professional installation. Express Water’s quick and easy-to-understand design means you can install and understand everything about your new water filtration system
- Quality : Rest easy with our 1-year on all Express Water Reverse Osmosis Water Systems
- Under Sink Water Filter System: No need to mess with refilling or activating your water filter, Express Water’s water filtration systems automatically fill your water tank with high quality drinking water
You can also use alkaline water pitchers which work on the same principle as a remineralization stage, except instead of in the system itself, it’s now outside so you can control how much water you wish to neutralize and how much you wish to keep as is.
A remineralization stage is a longer term investment and requires less replacing/maintenance than an alkaline water pitcher which may get slightly expensive in the long run.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: When it comes to our EHM Alkaline Water Pitchers, we make a point of using nothing but the finest materials available, as well as state-of-the-art manufacturing processes and strict quality control. Each of our high capacity water tank 3.8L pitchers has a filtration capacity of 2l, and is conveniently shaped to perfectly fit into your refrigerator!
- GREATLY IMPROVED HYDRATION: By micro-clustering and reducing water molecule size, this great water ionizer pitcher produces easily-absorbable alkaline water that will get you hydrated faster and more effectively. Filtered alkaline ionized water contains minimal free radicals and toxins, is a powerful antioxidant and enhances your energy levels and immune system.
- COMPOSITE 6 STAGE FILTER CARTRIDGE: By utilizing a specially formulated 6-stage filter, the EHM Alkaline Water Pitcher removes chlorine, heavy metals, and other contaminants from water, sets its pH to a basic value up to a 10 PH depending on the source water. It also adds calcium, magnesium, and potassium minerals and anti-oxidants, and provides a low negative ORP between -100 and -200 mv.
- FEATURES: large capacity, 10-cup pitcher, total filter content 3.5L, and 2.0L filtration. We provide two extra high quality and easy-to-install filters, to generate ultimately hygienic and clean water. The timer measures the number of days left of the life expectancy of the filter, and tracks the replacement
- WATER FILTRATION FUNCTIONS: According to the source of water, 7-layer alkaline filtration makes water alkaline, with pH value increased by 0.5 to 2 or more. It is able to remove Fluoride, chlorine, lead, dirt, harmful metals and other water substances in the water, and also defeats peculiar odors, hence provide clean and healthy drinking water
- ECONOMIC AND ENVIRONMENT-PROTECTIV: our filter can purify 300 16-ounce plastic bottles of water. Pitchers save you an enormously amount otherwise to be used for bottled water, not only lowering your costs, but also reducing the waste on plastics and conserving the environment
- DESIGN OF THE PURIFIER: Oval outline that is simple and elegant, easily fit into the majority of fridges. The ergonomic handle is easy to assemble/disassemble. The best water filter pitcher, with smooth unclogged water flow, pH value reaching 8-10 after filtration
- HEALTH & SATISFACTION: Exquisite package, 100% tested, an ideal choice as a gift for friends or family. We will provide 24/7 online customer services, with 18 months After sales service, and full amount refund within 30 days starting from the purchase date. We are dedicated to your health and satisfaction
What’s the deal with alkaline water
Searching online, watching videos, and hearing things from your friends may have you inclined to think that alkaline water is a miracle drug that cures cancer.
However, there is no clear consensus in the scientific community with regards to whether alkaline water is all its proponents claim it to be.
On the whole, natural water is the best water you can drink, according to the Mayo Clinic.
There have been a few studies that show certain benefits for alkaline water, though.
- A study in 2012 showed that drinking alkaline water with a pH of greater than 8.8 had an effect in reducing the enzyme that is responsible for acid reflux.
- Another study suggested possible benefits from alkaline water for people who suffered from high blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol.
- Another study suggested that alkaline water can help in oxygen delivery all over your body by increasing the blood’s viscosity.
Please bear in mind that these studies were done with very small sample sizes and the results are far from conclusive.
THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE TO DRINK OR AVOID ALKALINE WATER. CONSULT A DOCTOR IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS!
The reason I quoted these studies is that the results of these studies are a long shot from the claims some pro-alkaline water folks make:
- it has anti-aging properties
- it has colon-cleansing properties
- it helps your immune system
- it builds cancer resistance
- and so on
I am not saying that alkaline water?does not do this, I am just stating that there is not yet enough conclusive evidence to show that it indeed?does.
I saw a video on YouTube of a doctor advising strongly against alkaline water
One of the comments caught my eye:
Really the key here is the word this commenter has capitalized: NATURALLY.
If your primary water source is NATURALLY slightly alkaline and you and your ancestors have been drinking it for generations and living long and healthy lives then sure, it’s good for you!
However, attributing long life solely to water is confusion correlation with causation – there are other factors such as diet, stress, and environment which make a much bigger difference than the acidity or alkalinity of your drinking water.
Remember, the main purpose of RO water is to REMOVE contaminants – which can cause serious health problems.