For all my life, I’ve hated everything that has to do with interior and housing.
Well…that was until I bought my first apartment. A couple of months ago, I was sort of forced to get out there and see what I could get to make my apartment look decent.
Back in the days, I wrote and published this guide on Sustainability Matters. It’s called “How to make your home eco-friendly” and is a decent piece of article about … how you can make your home eco-friendly.
But it’s so much in that article that is missing. Buying high-quality wood macrame hanging shelves for instance – who would have thought I would do that?
How was this article/”test” made?
- I discovered the fact that I needed all my stuff somewhere in my living room
- Didn’t want to buy another closet
- Looked up for alternatives online
- Found out what a “macrame hanging shelf” was
- ….and did hours of research to find the best one! 🙂
- Finally, I spent three hours writing this article.
Top 8: Best Wooden Hanging Macrame Shelves
I found several items that I would love to have in my tiny apartment. Instead of featuring the only one I bought, I’ll show you several of the macrame shelves that I fell in love with. 🙂
Top 3: Perfects for plants
Top 3: Perfect for the casual living room/bedroom
Top 3: Perfect Budget-Friendly Alternatives
I’m not gonna reveal which one I bought for myself. 🙂 That would just make the decision harder for you.
But I will honestly tell you that I was a huge fan of all these shelves – and that I purchased two of them to have in my house. One is already hanging in my living room…and the other one will be hanging somewhere some day. Haha.
Now, I hope you’re convinced that buying one of these will be a good idea.
If not: read the next paragraph. 🙂
Reasons to buy a wooden macrame shelf
- Aesthetically pleasing. To me, they give a quite luxurious and relaxed look at the same time. It’s sort of the perfect furniture to have in a home in Santorini*.
- Eco-friendly. This website is about eco-friendly products. I’m always a huge fan of buying products that are non-plastic, non-toxic and will not turn into landfill once they’re broken. These wooden shelves are super good for the environment and for your home.
- Easy to adjust. With most shelves you buy on IKEA, you don’t have a choice if it “fails”. I’ve never seen anyone starting to remove their shelves and put them somewhere else in the living room. That’s too much hassle. But with a macrame shelf, it’s quite easy to move it around the house just like you want. You can even have it outside during summertime – and move it indoor to your living room during winter!
*= If you haven’t checked out Santorini yet = go Google it! You will fall in love with that place through your screen! 🙂
Macrame shelf interior ideas – what to put on the shelves?
When I first browsed through Amazon, I saw that nearly every picture had shelves containing different items.
If you just want a macrame shelf, but isn’t sure what to use it for, here’s some inspiration:
- Plants (very popular)
- Board games
- Small statues that you’ve picked up while traveling
- Pictures of you, your family, or your dog. 😉
- Toilet paper in the bathroom
- Other decorative items
In general, I would say that the shelves are quite small. That limits your options. But if you have some pretty items that you would love to feature in your home, I would say such a shelf is the perfect opportunity. 🙂
Types of hanging wooden macrame shelves
There are three types. And they are quite easy to categorize by their features.
- One deck shelves. Consists of one plank.
- Two deck shelves. Consists of two planks/two “decks”.
- Three deck shelves. How many planks do you think this consists of? 🙂
As you can see in my product recommendation/buyer’s guide above, I’ve listed out a couple of each type. To be honest, I’m a huge fan of the double-deckers myself. That means you can store plants on the top one and have a couple of good books on the lower deck.
✅Q: Can I build my own macrame shelf (DIY)?
That sounds like a project that was given to me when I was an 8th grader. I mean: of course you can build your own macrame shelf.
It will take time. You will need a lot of tools and materials. But there’s no one that can say that you shouldn’t give it a go. I’m more of the type that would spend 29.95 $ on a beautiful shelf on Amazon…but we’re all different? 😉
✅Q: Do you have a macrame hanging shelf DIY tutorial?
I haven’t made such a tutorial myself.
But I’ve spent two hours looking through tutorials online. And this 19 minutes masterpiece is the closest I’ve gotten to finding “the perfect macrame shelf DIY Youtube tutorial”.
The video is clear. Specific. Beautiful. And relaxing.
If you got 19 minutes to spare, here it is:
✅Q: Is mounting equipment often included when you purchase macrame shelves online?
Not at all. Out of the 100 products I’ve browsed through, I guess only 10-15 % of them explicitly told the customer that nails or hooks are included.
If you do buy a macrame shelf, you might also head over to the “tool department” or Amazon to make sure that you get the equipment you need to “install” it in your home.
✅Q: Can I use this type of shelf outside?
You can. In fact, wooden furniture is perfect to have outside. In fact, wood is probably the material that lasts the longest outside (possibly apart from plastic).
In regards to the hanging cotton knot, it might be a problem if your area experiences a lot of wind, snow, and/or rain. However, in general, you should not be afraid of having your macrame shelf hanging outside your home.
Wrapping things up
As you can see, there are loads of beautiful shelves to choose from. I’ve just cherry-picked the ones that I personally believe are the prettiest.
But you can go to Amazon.com and check out the whole selection by clicking here. It leads you to the page for the search term “hanging macrame shelf” on Amazon.
If you have any experience or comments, do not be shy. I love to hear from my readers – and the comment section below my articles is always open. This is a piece of furniture that I quite recently discovered. That means I still got an awful lot to learn – and I’m more than happy to hear from other people that got questions or experiences to share.